The 7 Most Effective Solutions to Get Rid of A Double Chin | What's TRENDing
7 Most Effective Products to Prevent and Repair Split Ends
Seeing split ends on your hair is a dreaded sight — but trimming it can mean losing the length you’ve waited long to achieve.
Which is why, you may be on a hunt for the best product for split ends — whether it’s preventative, or one that fixes split ends that have already appeared.
In this post, you’ll find out the answers to all your burning questions on the topic — as well as what the best split ends remedies on the market are.
Split Ends Remedies That’ll Actually Help
The products that promise a solution to the split-end problem tend to fall into these two categories:
- Preventative products, that help you avoid breakage and split ends;
- Split-ends fixers or menders, that help you fix the appearance of existing split ends.
We have selected the most effective products from both categories, to help you find a holistic solution to split ends. Have a glimpse at the key information about these products in our comparison chart, and then read the full descriptions and FAQs with expert answers below.
#1: Kerastase Resistance Serum Therapiste – The Right Hairstyles’ Choice
When someone says, ‘professional hair care’, Kérastase is a brand that first comes to mind. A top treatment for split ends on the market, Kérastase Resistance Serum Therapiste contains a combination of two highly effective ingredients: Dimethicone — a smoothing silicone which helps to boost silkiness and shine, and Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein – an ingredient that strengthens the hair shaft. The texture consists of oil and cream, which work together to fortify fiber and instantly repair damaged hair and split ends deep within. This serum is a revitalizing treatment for hair that’s been weakened and damaged by the daily grind, and regular use will not only visibly repair and prevent split ends but improve the overall hair elasticity. It’s versatile and provides effective results for people with various types of hair – whether your hair is thick, thin, color-treated or natural.
Usage instructions: Apply to washed and towel-dried hair, massaging onto lengths and ends. Blow-dry or let your hair air-dry. Use it as often as you need to.
Who should buy this product: People with weak, damaged hair that’s a bit unhappy. Ideal for people who want to keep their hair length and avoid the hair getting shorter and shorter (every inch matters!).
- Light, non-greasy formula
- Visibly repairs split ends
- Prevents breakage
- Leaves ends feeling smooth
- Protect from heat
- More expensive than other remedies
#2: TIGI Bed Head Ego Boost – Leave-In Conditioner for Damaged, Color-Treated Hair
If you’re looking for a product to effectively address existing split ends and calm stressed out, straw-like tresses, TIGI Bed Head Ego Boost will help. It’s said to be more effective than many serums out there, which are silicon-based and only work to protect the hair temporarily instead of providing a solution for damage that’s already been done. Its unique multi-tasking formula works to protect dry, damaged and weak hair from external elements, such as heat, UV and other harsh things we often put our hair through. Most importantly, this product is a split ends mender, which manages to smooth and seal damaged, look-ruining split ends.
Usage instructions: Apply a small amount to damp hair after washing, while rubbing and massaging it deep into the ends. No need to rinse it out – and it can be applied as often as you need to, even after every wash.
Who should buy this product: A chronic hair abuser with hair that has sad-looking, parched, split ends. Ideal for someone who is looking to go longer between haircuts – and people with color-treated hair.
- Mends split ends
- Safe for color-treated hair
- Protects hair against environmental elements
- Could weigh down fine hair
#3: BC Bonacure Repair Sealed Ends – Professional Leave-In Hair Treatment to Seal Split Ends
BC Bonacure Repair Rescue Sealed Ends is an intensive split end sealer that receives a lot of praise from those who suffer from split ends. Fuelled by protein, the treatment works to seal split ends and nourish porous hair ends to help prevent breakage. Its unique formula contains ingredients like panthenol (vitamin B group), and works to improve hair elasticity, flexibility and moisture retention. The treatment improves the appearance of hair too, by taming frizz and helping to control flyaways. It adds shine and leaves hair feeling smooth and soft.
Usage instructions:Apply a small amount to clean, damp hair and work it into your hair focusing on the ends. No need to rinse! Use it as often as you like – even after every wash.
Who should buy this product: Those who already have damaged locks and some split ends, but don’t want to chop them off. Equally as useful for those who are trying to achieve a greater length – it’ll help ensure the ends remain healthy for longer.
- Seals split ends
- Strengthens hair strands
- Great for colored/ damaged locks
- A small amount goes a long way
- Does not weigh down hair
- A little more expensive than other products
#4: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist – Affordable Moisturising Conditioner
If you haven’t met this top everyday use product yet, then you may want to introduce it into your hair care routine. People are actually calling this product a ‘miracle’. In just 3 minutes, this deep conditioning treatment transforms coarse, frizzy and dry hair into silky, soft and more manageable. It contains highly effective ingredients like jojoba seed oil and aloe leaf extract, which work to moisturise and nourish hair, protecting it against split ends. It has also won lots of awards as a beauty product, so if you’re looking for an affordable conditioner for split ends, this product may be worth a try.
Usage instructions: Apply a dime-sized amount to clean, wet/ damp hair, focusing on the ends. Leave it in for 3 minutes, before rinsing it out with warm water. Use it 1-2 times a week.
Who should buy this product: People with dry, frizzy hair that feels coarse and is prone to breakage. Suitable for natural, Afro/ black hair and dyed hair – one of its advantages is that it keeps colored hair from fading.
- Good value for money
- Adds shine
- Detangles hair
- Makes hair visibly smoother and softer
- Quick to achieve results
- Long-lasting scent (love it or hate it!)
#5: Shea Moisture Leave-In Conditioner – Effective Leave-In Conditioner for Improving Appearance of Split Ends
Achieving salon-smooth and healthy-looking locks at home can be a challenge – but this Shea Butter Strengthen and Restore Leave In Conditioner seems to make it possible. Containing hair-loving ingredients like shea butter, peperming oil and Jamaican black castor oil, it leaves hair feeling moisturised for as long as three days before having to use it again. Hair feels soft, smooth, healthier and has more elasticity. The product is great for those who are looking for a preventative measure to split ends, as well as those who already have a bunch of them and want to reduce their appearance.
Usage instructions: Use a dime-sized amount on damp/ towel-dried hair, focusing on your mid-lengths and ends. Use this product once a week (or every 3 days for very dry hair).
Who should buy this product: People with chemically-treated, frequently styled with heated appliances and natural hair. It’ll particularly improve the lives of those who have helplessly dry ends.
- Contains shea butter (effective preventative ingredient)
- No sulphates or parabens
- Improves appearance of split ends
- Adds shine and improves manageability
- Can be runny
- Strong smell (not for everyone!)
#6: Suave Professionals Keratin Shampoo & Conditioner – Budget-Friendly Anti-Breakage Products
A leading conditioner and shampoo for dry damaged, protein-thirsty hair, this combo is the perfect alternative to costly salon treatments. Its main ingredient is keratin, which is the protein your hair mainly consists of – and often has a shortage of. Formulated with Keralock Technology, the pair will infuse keratin into depleted hair strands, sealing your cuticles, strengthening your hair and making it more manageable, smoother and less frizzy.
After washing your hair with the shampoo, towel-dry your hair and apply a dime-sized amount of conditioner. Leave it in for 3-5 minutes, then rinse out with warm water. Use once or twice a week, as protein can dry out your locks and scalp.
Who should buy this product: People with thick, frizzy, curly hair that needs some anti-breakage support. It’s ideal for people who have to deal with hard-to-manage, unruly, coarse hair.
- Formulated with Keralock Technology
- Small amount goes a long way
- Effectively detangles hair
- Lower in sulphates
- Frequent use can dry out hair
#7: L’Oreal Total Repair 5 Damage-Erasing Balm – Deeply Conditioning Balm for Visibly Healthier Ends
You know when you’ve been really harsh to your hair for a while (bleaching it, chemically-treating it, exposing it to chlorine a little too often, etc.) and you wish you could undo the damage? L’Oreal Advanced Haircare Total Repair 5 Damage-Erasing Balm claims to be able to reverse up to 1 year’s damage done to your locks in just one use. Once applied, the product deeply repairs and reconstructs hair, as well as seals broken fibers. Its main ingredient, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, naturally has a range of incredible benefits, and has been found to significantly help hair that has been colored, bleached, permed or otherwise chemically treated.
Usage instructions: Apply a dime-sized amount on clean, wet or damp hair from mid-lengths to ends. Leave it in for about 3 minutes before washing it out. Use it once every 1-2 weeks, depending on the damage.
Who should buy this product: Those with hair that’s been through a lot – and needs a bit of love and attention. Ideal for people who have chemically-treated their locks, or people whose hair has become straw-like due to hormonal changes, environmental factors or other reasons.
- Effectively repairs even extremely damaged hair
- Seals broken fibers
- Transforms straw-like hair into soft
- Visibly improves appearance of split ends
- Can be difficult to get hold of in drugstores (mostly sold on Amazon)
Buyer’s Guide to Split Ends Remedies
Let’s take a look at some of the most frequently asked questions about split ends, so that you can make an informed decision and find the best products for your hair.
What Are Split Ends – and How They Come About
A split end forms when the protective outer layer of hair (the cuticle), gets worn away and damaged by things like chemical processing, heat styling, and general everyday wear and tear.
This damage exposes the inner core of protein (keratin) that your hair is made out of exposed, making the hair vulnerable to breakage and splitting.
If you were to put a piece of hair under a microscope and examine further, you’d see that the hair looks like a broken, fractured piece of wood with lots of rough ridges (not a pretty sight!).
There are lots of different types of split ends, however – and they vary depending on the damage that’s been done to your hair.
Do Split Ends Menders Actually Work?
Split ends menders do work — but the fix is only temporary. A mender or a sealer can cover the damaged areas and smooth out the split ends. These repair products often contain ingredients called polymers, which works to ‘glue’ the hair strands together to temporarily and immediately fix a split end.
However, any part of the fibre that’s already damaged won’t be able to heal itself permanently, meaning that with time, the split end will reappear. Even though menders and sealers can make it look better, unhealthy, damaged ends won’t be completely fixed.
The only way to permanently get rid of split ends is to pick up a pair of scissors and snip it off.
How to Apply Split Ends Treatments?
If you’re looking to treat your split ends at home, then you may wonder how to do that to make sure you get a positive result. Now, split ends treatments tend to vary greatly, and each will have its own instructions and the recommended way to apply to optimize the result.
A few usual ways to apply split ends treatments are as follow:
- Serum: apply a dime-sized amount on damp hair before styling – or on dry hair to perfect the ends;
- Mending cream: apply pea-sized amount on wet/ damp hair, focusing on the ends;
- Salve: 1 pump on towel-dried hair, concentrating on the ends;
- In-shower cream: apply in the shower for a minute or longer, depending on the damage;
- Leave-in treatment: apple a dime-sized amount to hair, concentrating on mid-length through to the ends. Apply on dry hair for a finishing touch, if needed.
What Ingredients Help Prevent Split Ends?
While some wear and tear of your ends is inevitable, there are highly effective ingredients found in hair products that can be help with anti-breakage and make split ends in your hair less frequent.
Some of the most effective ingredients to look out for are:
- Panthenol (Provitamin B5);
- Organic oils (coconut, argan, rosehip seed, peanut, olive, jojoba, etc.);
- Shea butter;
- Organic Aloe Vera.
These ingredients work to protect hair against physical damage and breakage, caused by washing and styling, as well as heated appliances. They also help form a shield against environmental factors — such as UV exposure – and some feed the strands to boost hair growth.
What Ingredients Help Seal Split Ends?
Here are the ingredients to look out for in products that help fix split ends:
- Dimethicone crosspolymer;
- Isostearoyl lactylate;
- Dough conditioner;
- Hydrolyzed wheat protein.
Can Diet Help Prevent Split Ends?
What you eat matters and is reflected on your body. No matter how many great hair products you use, or how many top-rated hair salons you visit – you won’t achieve healthy-looking locks just by using products on the outside. Your hair needs a good balance of certain vitamins and minerals to maintain good health from within.
Here are some of the key nutrients and foods needed to maintain healthy hair and minimize breakage:
- Omega 3s keep your hair shiny and help maintain healthy elasticity. Foods rich in Omega 3s: fish oil supplements, flax, sardines, wild salmon, pumpkin seeds.
- Protein helps build healthy hair, as it mainly consists of protein (keratin). Foods rich in protein: spirulina, pastured eggs, tempeh, quinoa, spirulina.
- Zinc is essential for healthy hair and is needed not only to avoid split ends but also for healthy hair growth. Foods rich in zinc: oysters, whole grains, eggs, and nuts like pecans and walnuts.
- Vitamin E works to seal in the scalp’s natural oils and helps the lipid membranes, keeping your hair from snapping and drying. Foods rich in vitamin E: almonds, spinach, sunflower seeds, sweet potato and avocados.
- Iron plays a key role in transporting red blood cells to your hair follicles. Foods rich in iron: meat, fish, tofu, pulses, beans and nuts.
- Vitamin B complex helps maintain strong hair, as well as supports natural pigmentation. Foods rich in vitamin B complex: legumes, liver, fresh orange juice, rice, fish and soy products.
Which Salon Treatments Can Prevent and Mend Split Ends?
One of the main ways to make split ends less frequent is to provide your locks with the optimum nourishment and moisture healthy hair strands need. Which is why, you may choose to head to your stylist and ask for a salon-treatment to help with split ends.
As a preventative measure, a deep conditioning treatment will be the best option – as it will help prevent hair breakage overall. It will work to moisturize hair strands, strengthen hair follicles and make your hair better prepared for the daily wear and tear, consequently minimizing split ends.
There are many deep-conditioning salon treatments which can help your hair remain healthy and minimize the chances of developing split ends, and we have listed a few of the most effective ones.
Plus, if you already have some split ends that you’d like to get rid of without cutting – there are also some treatments that can help instantly mend your split ends:
- The Linkage Meu Treatment. A treatment that can be done in under 15 minutes, this deep conditioning remedy is said to transform hair from coarse to soft. It adds volume, softness and elasticity, without weighing down your hair strands. Three different hydrating formulas are applied in order to your damp hair, and it comes with booster vials that should be applied weekly for results to last as long as 5 weeks.
- The Inphenom Treatment. This treatment is ideal for people whose hair is prone to breakage or is dull and damaged. It works to deeply penetrate the hair shaft, which helps repair damage and breakage – then adds proteins for a strengthening effect. The treatment, which consists of five steps, can be done in about 30 minutes. It works to close the cuticle of your hair to lock in moisture (and protect the color – it is often used on hair that has recently been dyed). As a result, your hair will be shinier and more vibrant for longer.
- Brazilian Blowout Split End Repairing Treatment. A therapeutic, preventative treatment as well as a cutting lotion all in one, this treatment will utilize a bio reparative complex to help rebuild and fortify weakened fibres, as well as help defend against cuticle cracking. That prevents tears – and Thermo-Marine Bonding System fills in and binds broken fibres together – instantly mending split ends.
3 Lesser Known Tips for Preventing Split Ends
While we know that completely avoiding the stress that styling tools and chemicals put on our hair follicle is practically impossible – there are some smart hacks that will help prevent split ends.
- Oil your hair before washing it. Washing your hair can damage hair follicles – because wet hair is a lot more fragile. Oiling it before will help make hair more resistant to the potential damage.
- Trim your hair when it’s dry.Many stylists still cut your hair when it’s wet or damp. Their reasoning is that when hair’s wet, it’s easier to achieve a better, more even cut. Yes, but wet hair is also a lot more susceptible to split ends. Trimming wet hair is like trimming wet paper. You won’t achieve a clear-cut trim – so, if you can, get your stylist to trim your hair when it’s dry.
- Brush your hair wisely. Brushing your beautiful locks shouldn’t be a quick, careless job. Use a brush correctly — start at the ends and work your way up as you remove the knots. Starting at the top pushes a nominal crisscross down creating a twisted clump at the ends.
Alternative Products for Preventing and Immediately Fixing Split Ends
Opting for shampoos, conditioners and hair serums is the more obvious way to help put an end to your brittle hair problems – but there are also some alternatives that can help prevent split ends as well as improve their appearance, such as:
- Pure Cold-Pressed USDA Certified Praised for its healing and nourishing properties, rich in fatty acids, Vitamin E and carotenes, Argan oil isn’t just used to help bring dry hair back to life. It is a remedy many turn to for help with extremely dry skin and nails, too. Add a little bit of organic argan oil to your favourite shampoo – and you’ll restore your damaged, brittle and dry hair to lustrous, shiny locks, visibly improving the appearance of split ends.
- Organic, Cold-Pressed, Unrefined . There’s something very reassuring when you know that the product you apply on your hair you could also eat! Apply coconut oil to dry hair before you shower, put a shower cap on and let it moisturize your locks for 10-15 minutes. Do that every once a week or so – and you’ll notice how much smoother your hair is (including the ends!), as it’ll work its magic to strengthen weak hair follicles.
- Natural Vitamin E . This may come as a surprise, but Vitamin E capsules can also be applied to hair externally. Open two or three Vitamin E capsules and extract the oil. Mix it with lukewarm water and massage through your hair, focusing on your split ends. Vitamin E works to rebuild the protective layer of your hair – plus help your hair feel moisturized and nourished.
Having healthy, lustrous hair is every girl’s dream. No hairstyle will ever truly shine if you have pesky split ends revealing that your hair isn’t as healthy as it should be.
Video: THE 7 MOST EFFECTIVE EXERCISES TO GET RID OF A DOUBLE CHIN
How to Maximize Workspace in a Small Garage
15superb Christmas decorations you can make with your kids
Women still do more housework
3 Tips for Dating When Youre Overweight
How to Conceal Red Spots on Your Face
Beauty Hero Buy – The Nars All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation
How to Apply Makeup Quickly
Laura Mercier Velour Lip Colors for Holiday 2015
The 7 Best Juicers to Buy in 2019
Dont Be Ashamed of That Girly Cocktail
What Is an Appendectomy Surgery and Recovery
10 Best Tea Tree Oil Shampoos Available In India
How to Build a Plywood Canoe