Bread & Butter Pickles - How to Make Great Depression-Style Sweet Pickles
1/2 c. pickling or canning salt
large sweet red pepper
trays of ice cubes
2 tbsp. mixed pickling spices
1 1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 1/2 tsp. celery seeds
1 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
- In 8-quart stainless-steel or enamel saucepot, combine salt and 2 quarts cold water, stirring until most of salt dissolves. Add cucumbers and pepper pieces. Add more cold water just to cover vegetables. Top vegetables with a layer of ice cubes and set aside in a cool place 3 hours or refrigerate overnight.
- Drain vegetables in a large colander; rinse with cold water and set aside.
- In same saucepot, combine sugar, vinegar, pickling spices, turmeric, and celery and mustard seeds; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer pickling solution 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare six 1-pint jars, lids, and bands for processing, following manufacturer's directions.
- Remove spice bag from pickling solution and discard. Add half of vegetables to solution and heat to boiling. Using tongs, remove vegetables and pack into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch space at top of jars. Ladle hot pickling solution into jars to cover pickles; wipe jar rims clean. Seal with lids and bands. Place in boiling-water canner. Repeat with remaining vegetables. Process jars in boiling-water bath 10 minutes. Cool jars, then label; store in cool, dry place.
Video: The best BREAD & BUTTER PICKLES!
Kate Middleton Just Gave The Best Response To Someone Who Called Her Perfect
The Breakfast Club: A Fashion Meets FoodEditorial
Celebrating Your Divorce.Together
7Subtle Signs That Can Give Away Your Age
How to Start an Emo Band in Middle School
How to Clean Scallops
Bored With Plain Water
Nutella Fudge Brownies
This Affordable Handbag Label Is Like the Zara of the Accessories World
The Time for Crying is Over—Senator Kirsten Gillibrand Wants You to Run for Office Instead
In the Aisle: Pineapple
Embrace Eternal Summer With Gray Malins Aerial Beach Photography
Wavy Hairstyles for Short Hair: Celebrity Haircuts
Date: 04.12.2018, 05:28 / Views: 51133