How is a frog different from a toad?
For many of us, the appearance of toads, like frogs, is not the most pleasant sight. But, nevertheless, it is necessary to recognize that toads are irreplaceable assistants on the plot during the ripening of berries and fruits, during the harvest of vegetables. So which of them, a toad or a frog, is useful for a person? How does a frog differ from a toad — by appearance, size, or other characteristics?
Similarities between the toad and the frog
Before considering how the frog and the toad are similar to each other, it is necessary to mention that they belong to the amphibian family. Both the frog and the toad are very fond of damp and water. Both the toad and the frog have membranes on the legs, thanks to which they can swim quite well. The main food of frogs and toads is insects, which they swallow whole without chewing. That is, the method of digesting food in toads and frogs is the same.
Practically on this, the similarity of the frog and the toad ends, with the exception of one more fact - the frog and the toad lay their eggs in the water.But, the way of procreation is somewhat different. Yes, the toad does not inhabit the water, but only returns there to lay eggs.
Differences between a toad and a frog
Since the differences between the toad and the frog are much greater than the similarities, let us dwell in more detail on them.
- The first difference is frog and toad in their appearance. The toad has short hind legs, it is squat. The toad is larger for the frog, with a flatter and heavier body, with its head close to the ground. The frog's head is larger, although its size is much smaller than the toad. And the head of the frog is always in a raised form.
- Toad skin has a warty structure, and, this creature does not jump, as a frog. Please note that the structure of the skin of these amphibians is completely different - the toad has dry skin and the frog has slippery skin. By color, it is also possible to distinguish where the toad is, and where the frog is, since the toads on the tummy have light skin, and the frog has a color that is similar to aquatic vegetation.
- Another significant difference between the toad and the frog is their habitat. It was mentioned above that both amphibians prefer water, but if the frog constantly lives in water, then the toad lives on land, in a damp and damp place. She returns to the water (where, by the way, is born) to lay eggs for breeding.According to experts, the frog never leaves its birthplace. She will "live till her old age" in the reservoir where she was born. Therefore, most often the frog can be found on the banks of rivers and lakes, and not in the garden, like a toad.
- It should be noted that the toad lays eggs in a completely different way than the frog, therefore this characteristic is a distinctive feature between these amphibians. In addition, toads lay far fewer eggs in one season than frogs, since the reproductive functions of the body of toads are much lower than that of frogs.
- Toads have no teeth. Some species of frogs have teeth, but not all, and if the frog has teeth, they are located only in the upper jaw. It is for this reason that both the toad and the frog swallow whole food. Thus, a comparison of the toad and the frog showed us how these amphibians differ from each other.
Is a toad useful to humans?
It turns out that even our descendants knew how toad could be useful in the economy. They somehow knew how a frog differs from a toad, so they never put a frog in a jar with milk instead of a frog.The fact is that on the skin of a toad there are substances that are deadly to insects, but are absolutely harmless to humans. It turns out that the skin of the toad has bactericidal properties, which our ancestors used to store milk in hot weather. They put a toad in a vessel with milk, and it did not turn sour for a long time. Today, no one holds such an event, but, nevertheless, this feature is very interesting for a modern person.
What is a dragoon
What is a dynasty
How to clear your nose
Painting Sovushki in the technique of nitcography
How to choose a fan
Do the dead see us