DIY Peppermint Essential Oil Breath Spray
How to Make Lavender Breath Freshener
Fresh-smelling breath gives you the ability to talk with other people in a confident way, even in close quarters. Making and taking homemade breath fresheners is one way to get that clean feeling without breaking the bank or ingesting harmful chemicals. Whip up these delightful little lavender-infused breath fresheners and you’ll be able to fix bad breath in a jiffy!
dry culinary lavender (more or less to taste)
lavender oil (more or less to taste)
1 cup powdered gum paste mix
1 tablespoon water
Gathering Your Materials
Choose the best dry culinary lavender.Many grocery stores sell lavender stems either in the spices or vegetable aisle. Farmer’s markets are another great source. You will need an estimated 1 tablespoon (14.8 ml) of dry lavender for this recipe. Make sure that you purchase culinary lavender, as it is safe for consumption, as opposed to other types of lavender, such as ornamental.
- Once you find the lavender, conduct a sniff test. If the lavender emits a light fragrance, it is good to use. If it smells musty or has no odor at all, continue your search.
- Another option is to buy fresh lavender, bunch it with string and hang it upside down to dry. When it is fully dry and crisp to the touch, pull off the buds with your fingers and store them in a glass container for later use.
Grind your dry lavender.As it stands, your dry lavender buds are too bulky to include directly into the mixture. They need to be ground down into a fine powder. You can use a mortar and pestle, a clean coffee grinder, or a spice grinder to create the powder.
- If you use a coffee grinder, it may be helpful to grind a cup or so of buds at a time. Store any leftover powder in a glass container.
- Remove any remaining plant bits or debris by running your powder through a fine sieve or strainer.
- If you have a sweet tooth, you can always add confectioner’s sugar to the buds and grind them together for a sweeter base mixture. Just be careful that you monitor the sweetness level when you combine everything together in the final steps.
Purchase lavender oil.Lavender is a very common essential oil available at most specialty food and health stores. However, although the Food and Drug Administration regulates the basic production of essential oils, the quality can vary widely so purchase with caution.
- Look for clear information on the bottle regarding origin, purity (you want 100% undiluted essential oil), and production claims. When in doubt, use the smell test again.
Prepare your work area.Pull out a small bowl, a medium mixing bowl, a whisk, a spatula, a cooking sheet, and a roll of wax paper. You will also need measuring cups and spoons.
Mixing Everything Together
Wash your hands well.Keeping your cooking space as clean as possible is important. Starting the process with clean hands prevents the contamination of the final product.
Mix a gum paste base.Place 1 cup of the gum paste in a medium mixing bowl. Pour 1 tablespoon (14.8 ml) of water into the bowl. Stir together with a spoon. You want a moldable-dough consistency. If you need to add more water, do so a few drips at a time.
- If you add too much water, it’s okay. Just balance it out with additional gum paste.
- Gum paste is a sugar powder, similar to fondant. It creates a sweet base while holding it’s form without freezing or cooking. It is commonly available for purchase by the can at craft and cooking stores.
Add in the lavender powder and lavender oil.The amounts that you add will depend on your personal preference, so taste the mixture as you change it. Start with a pinch of lavender powder and 1 drop of oil and work your way up from there.
- Be conservative with the lavender. Over-ingestion of lavender oil can cause rashes and other side effects.
Prepare for cutting.Lay out a sheet of wax paper and sprinkle some confectioner’s sugar on top of it. The sugar will provide an additional barrier against sticking and add a nice touch to the outside of the final product.
Drying and Packing
Take out the dough from the bowl and roll into a large ball in your hands.Place it on the sugared wax paper and press it down evenly using your palms until it is ¼ inch thick. You can also use a rolling pin at this stage, however, coat it in a fine layer of confectioner's sugar to prevent sticking.
Cut out the mints.Use a sharp paring knife to cut the dough into tiny squares. Or, use a smoothie straw as a makeshift cookie cutter.
- It helps to roll the cut-outs in a bit of the confectioner’s sugar to keep them from sticking together.
Remove the cut-outs to a wax-paper lined cookie sheet.Continue until you have finished out the mixture within the bowl. Let them sit 4-6 hours until hardened.
- Place the cookie sheet in a cool, dry area where it will be undisturbed.
Remove the mints carefully with your fingers after they are dry and firm.Place them in an airtight container for storage. To take them with you during the day, put a handful on a sheet of wax paper and fold it around them, creating a small pouch for transport.
- Empty mint tins make good portable transport devices for of lavender breath fresheners as well.
Chew when needed.A delicious taste and the aroma of lavender will fill your mouth.
- Always use organic lavender flowers when consuming them; provided you have used natural garden sprays in your garden, the flowers will be fine for use.
- You can create different varieties of this recipe by exchanging the lavender flowers and oil for other scent types such as cinnamon, lemon, tea tree, etc.
- Be aware that some individuals experience skin reactions after ingesting essential oils. If this is the case, contact medical professionals immediately.
Video: Homemade Peppermint Breath Spray
Preen on the must-have piece from the new Debenhams collection and dressing Michelle Obama
How to Book a Great Safari on a Budget
Blugirl SpringSummer 2015: Rock en Plein Air
Uber Q2 2019 still sees increased ride growth
How To Do The Sukhasana And What Are Its Benefits
How to Bake Buns
The Fault In Our Stars
10 Things You Didnt Know About Rescue Dogs
How to Get Rid of Squirrels
Watch: New Beyonce video
How Does Triphala Help You Lose Weight
This Weeks Royal News