Simple Ways to Style Medium Length Hair | DIY Hairdos
How to Style Medium Length Hair
Medium length hair is great – it’s easy to maintain, long enough to style, but short enough that you won’t spend all day drying it. Sometimes it feels like all the really fun hairstyles are reserved for long hair, but if your hair currently reaches your shoulders, you have lots of cool options for styling it. So whether you’re running late, having a bad hair day, or just plain uninspired, there’s a style for you.
Wearing Your Hair Down
Create loose waves.On days where you want to look like you just rolled out of bed, try adding natural waves to your hair. You can do this by twisting big sections of your hair around a large curling iron.
- Let the hair slide out of the curling iron almost immediately. This will add waves to your hair, instead of ringlets.
- Spray some hairspray into your hair to keep your waves in place.
- Straighten the ends of the waves to make the style a little more current looking.
Braid your bangs.If your side swept bangs need a trim, but you don’t have time to get to the salon, try braiding them across the crown of your head and securing the bang braid with a bobby pin.
- Pin the braid just over your ear.
- Leave the rest of your hair down, or put it up in a ponytail for when you work out.
Try a side-sweep look.Blow your hair dry using a large barrel brush. Divide your hair into four sections, then curl each one, alternating between curling one section clockwise and curling the next section counter-clockwise.
- Once each section is curled, pin it to keep it out of the way.
- After all the hair is curled, remove the pins and lightly comb through the hair using your fingers.
- Use the paddle brush to comb the hair on the crown of your head toward the left side of your face.
- Don’t brush the waved portion of your hair. Brush this portion of hair towards the left side of your face using your fingers.
- Spray your hair with hairspray and allow it to settle for an hour and a half before going out.
Wearing Your Hair Up
Try a half-up, half-down top knot.On days where you’re crunched for time, put your hair half up and half down. Grab the chunk of hair near the crown of your head and section it off, away from the rest of your hair.
- Use a paddle brush to tease the hair you just sectioned off.
- Scrunch the hair into a bun and use an elastic to secure the hair in a tiny top knot on top of your head.
- Tug at the roots of your hair to create some additional volume.
Do an easy updo.Put the top half of your hair up and tie it up with an elastic on the top of your head. Do the same with the bottom half of your hair, but secure the bottom half a little lower than the top half of your hair.
- Take one of the ponytails and pull out a small section of hair. Roll the hair so it forms a small loop, then pin that loop to your head using a bobby pin.
- Do this around the entire circumference of your first ponytail before repeating the same thing on the second ponytail.
- Spray the back of your head with a flexible hairspray to secure the hairstyle.
Use a headband to create an updo.To create this updo, you will need a headband that wraps around the entirety of your head. Slide your headband around your neck, but don’t pull it up over your head.
- Roll the hair in the back of your head around the back of the headband.
- Pull the headband up into place. The back of your head should look like a rolled bun.
- Tuck any loose pieces back into the headband to secure them.
Experiment with a double ponytail.If you are trying to grow out your hair and want your ponytail to look longer, try putting your hair in two ponytails. Tie the first ponytail up at the crown of your head, then position the second ponytail at the nape of your neck.
- Curl your hair before tying it up to add volume to your ponytails.
Braiding Your Hair
Try a crown braid.Use a comb to divide your hair into two sections – one at the crown of your head and one with all the rest of your hair. Take the top section of your hair and French braid it down the center of the crown of your head.
- Keep braiding until the braid has formed a complete circle.
- Secure the braid with an elastic and tuck the end underneath the braid. Use bobby pins to secure the braid.
- Take the other section of your hair and French braid that around the circumference of your head.
- Use an elastic to secure the braid, then tuck and pin that braid under the braid you made at the top of your head.
- Add any additional pins you might need to help hold the braid in place.
Braid your hair into a Mohawk.Use a tail comb to create two hair parts, one over each eyebrow. Separate the two sections of hair and secure them to your head using a clip.
- Take the center section of your hair and braid it straight back away from your face.
- Start ½" back from the hairline so the braid will have a little poof at the front.
- Tightly braid the center piece all the way down the curve of your head, then secure the braid with an elastic.
- Tuck the braid under the rest of your hair and use pins to secure it.
Style your hair in a braided bun.Start by parting your hair down the middle. Separate your hair into two loose ponytails and secure them with elastics. Split each ponytail in two and braid each section. By the end, you should have four braids.
- Use scissors to remove the two elastics holding the two ponytails.
- Pin the two large ponytails so they crisscross at the nape of your neck.
- Wrap one of the braids into a bun, then secure the bun with a pin.
- Wrap all the other braids around that bun, securing each braid with a pin.
- By the end, you should have one braided bun.
Experimenting with Men's Medium Length Styles
Have fun with a comb over.Despite what you think, comb overs aren't just for the older demographic - they can also be modern and fun. Try shaving one half of your head, then combing the remaining hair over to the opposite side so it just barely grazes your chin.
- Grow out your beard and mustache for a rugged, masculine vibe.
- If you don't feel confident rocking the razor, ask a friend or hairdresser to shave your head for you.
Try a top knot for men.If you have medium length hair, your hair is too short for a man bun. However, it's the perfect length to put up in a top knot. Wait till your hair is wet from a shower, then use your hands to run hair cream all over your mane.
- Use your left hand to grab a fist-full of hair, starting at the top of your head and going back until you reach the crown of your head.
- Fold the hair in half so it creates a knot on the top of your head, then secure the knot using a hair tie.
Put your hair up in a short ponytail.If you're growing your hair out and need to keep it out of your face, a short ponytail will be your lifesaver. Gather as much hair as you can in one hand, and use the other to tie an elastic band around the hair, securing it on the back of your head.
- Whatever hair is not long enough to fit in the ponytail can rest on the back of your neck.
- This is a great hairstyle to use when working out.
QuestionI have frizzy, wavy, thick hair, and it's only an inch or two past my shoulders. I am unable to make these hairstyles. I also don't want to damage my hair by straightening it and it's extremely hard to brush it. I also don't have anti-frizz spray. What do I do? I want to look nice.wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTry braiding it! Thick wavy hair is perfect to make a nice, thick braid.Thanks!
QuestionI have hair near my collarbone and need my hair to be neat and up, any suggestions?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou could try a ballerina bun, high ponytail, or you could twist your hair into a ponytail, taking two small strands of hair at the side of your head, winding them and pulling them into the ponytail.Thanks!
- Hair is easier to style when it's a little bit greasy, so try not to wash your hair every day.
Sources and Citations
- Videos provided by
In other languages:
Italiano: , Español: , Português: , Français: , Deutsch: , 中文: , Русский: , Bahasa Indonesia:
Video: Undercut Hairstyle Tutorial | 5 Styling Tips For Medium Length Hair
Cosmo Regala... La bag multitasking
5 Ways to Frost a Cake
How to Make Gin
The Incredibly Filling Ingredient You Should Be Adding To Your Smoothies
Stock market: Chinese tech stocks climbing as markets rally
Snap VP of Content Nick Bell departs company
Megyn Kelly Said She Had Heard Rumors About Matt Lauer Before He Was Fired
The 10 best business class airlines in the world according to Skytrax
Oreo Churros Are Hitting Grocery Stores So Stop Whatever Youre Doing Immediately
Just Back From....Monte Carlo
15 Best Face Sheet Masks – 2019
Patient-Driven MS Research: An Idea We Should All Get Behind