What is the size?
In various explanatory dictionaries (Ushakova, Ozhegova, Efremova), the concept of “what is size” is defined rather ambiguously. The meaning of this word suggests the following.
- The magnitude of something in one or all dimensions. For example, the size of the ruler - 20 cm. Or - a mountain of huge size. The size of the land. The size of the human body.
- Amount (amount) of a sum of money, remuneration, fines, penalties. For example, the amount of wages. Or the size of the penalty.
- Relative size or scale. For example, a city plan of one hundred meters per centimeter.
- Merku (measure) of any product, its value or number. For example, shoe size, clothing size, suit in size. Read more about how to determine your shoe size in our article How to determine shoe size.
- Also, the word size can mean the degree of coverage, the magnitude of any phenomenon. For example, waves in a storm reach unprecedented sizes. Fires in the summer in the forest cause huge damage to forestry.
- The number and arrangement of syllables in poems, a certain alternation of stressed and unstressed, brief and long syllables, melodic and sound structure, the meter of the poem. For example, iambic or trochee.
- The number and location of units of rhythm in the musical beat, which creates a rhythmic system, the score in the musical works.
- In metrology, this is a quantitative certainty of a physical object. There is also the concept of "angular size", which determines the magnitude of the observed angle between two different points of the object and depends not only on the size and shape of the object, but also on the distance between the observer and the object.
Thus, we see that the concept of what size is very, very ambiguous. Of course, there are basic meanings of the word “size”, and there are minor ones that are less used in Russian. The most used are musical and poetic dimensions.
What is a dynasty
What genres of literature
How to cook dorado
How peanuts grow
Choosing summer bars
What is a Microsoft account?
What is content?
20. Stay Hexi with wooden legs that can transform into a small table